Over 25 Years Of Experience Helping Military Personnel With Child Custody, Parenting Matters

When a divorced service member is sent on temporary duty (TDY), is transferred or receives an order for a permanent change of station (PCS), it can create a number of complications with regard to the noncustodial parent's access to his or her children.

While they can be extremely complex, these issues are not insurmountable. A qualified Little Rock military child custody lawyer can help to ensure that your interests are protected.

Thorough Understanding Of LRAFB And The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act

As the senior family law attorney at the Law Office of Vickie Lynn Cochran, I have more than 25 years of experience helping service members stationed at LRAFB and other military installations across Arkansas, the nation and abroad with child custody modifications.

Modifying Existing Custody Orders

The modification of a custody or visitation order may be necessary in some situations. If the service member is the custodial parent, arrangements may need to be made if he or she is being transferred or deployed to a place where the children cannot go. This can be especially true in cases where the other parent has been awarded partial custody or visitation privileges. The service member may need to develop an approved family care plan so that provisions for your child's care are in place.

If the service member is not the custodial parent, the order may need to be modified. Issues involving your parental rights and access to your children upon your return can also be addressed along with the modification.

Service Members' Rights Under The Servicemembers Civil Relief Act (SCRA)

Some of the custody issues that arise after a military divorce involve actions initiated by the nonservice member parent while the service member is away. Any proceeding involving a service member who is deployed and cannot obtain leave to attend a hearing may be stayed under the SCRA, meaning that no action that impacts you can proceed until you return.

With a letter from your commanding officer stating that you will not be available until a certain date, the proceeding cannot move forward. There is a limit on how long the stay can remain in place, but extensions can be requested for lengthy deployments and other situations. We can help you through this entire process and work to ensure that your interests are protected to the fullest possible extent.

Contact Our Office: 501-313-1813 Or Toll Free At 800-323-8884

If you are divorced and need assistance with a child custody modification, we have the knowledge to help. Contact our office to schedule a consultation. You can also send us an email.

We can talk with you about the law in greater detail and find effective solutions for your individual situation.

Credit cards accepted.