VICKIE LYNN COCHRAN attorney at law
Free Initial Consultation | Out Of State Clients Welcome
Local: 501-313-1813 | Toll Free: 800-323-8884

A Strong Advocate for Your Family Law Matter

View Our Practice Areas

April 2015 Archives

How does an Arkansas judge determine child custody?

When deciding who should get custody, the law in Arkansas stipulates that each parent should be considered in the same way. That is to say, the court should never assume that a father does not want custody or give preferential treatment to a child's mother for no other reason than that she happens to be the mother. Instead, to determine who should get custody, the court will look at many different factors, including:-- Which parent demonstrates a level of love and affection that means he or she will care for the child properly-- The economic situation that both the mother and the father will find themselves in after the divorce-- Whether or not there is a history of aggression and abuse in the home, stemming from either parent-- The overall character of both parties, looking at their honesty and other such factors-- The home environment itself, specifically as that environment pertains to the health of the child-- What needs to be done to keep multiple children living under the same roof-- What the children want and have requested on their own

Re-homing is outlawed in Arkansas

Re-homing is a term used to describe what happens when a parent adopts a child and then transfers the custody of that child to another individual or another family. This used to be possible in Arkansas, but it led to some trouble. One individual sent children to a second family, and one of those children was then a victim of sexual abuse in the home.

Arkansas non-custodial parents and child support issues

Some Pulaski County non-custodial parents may feel like the legal system works against them. In truth, Arkansas courts do take sides when family law issues involve children – children's best interests are first. The Office of Child Support Enforcement is a state agency designed to help custodial and non-custodial parents resolve financial and other issues regarding children.

How Can We Help You?

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy